Friday, June 3, 2011

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Why You Should Watch It

BEAST MODE FTW
 Hello guys. I'm actually bored enough to write a new post! Great news right? The weather's awesome again, no sunlight and it's raining. Yeah, maybe I only write new posts when the weather's fine. There's only three days before the start of the new term. Three fucking days. I cannot wait for that. It's so boring in this house. Boredom kills! Anyway, READ ON TO READ. What? -__-



Neon Genesis Evangelion. The series that upped the standards of  anime of the past decade. I actually watched this anime three times. The first time, I stopped watching at just about Episode 2. I dropped it cause I said "What's so great about this? Vintage animation, complicated dialogue." .. Then I tried it again, this time,  I enjoyed and appreciated it. But stopped at episode 11. The reason : The quality of the episodes I downloaded were fucking bad. I mean bad, that it's actually not enjoyable. Then some time later, I found out about the new movies that rebooted the series. So I watched the movies, and I was blown away. I gained new found interest in the series that I watched the old anime again, be it bad quality or not. I watched all of it. All episodes, movies. Hell I even spent hours reading the EVA wiki. I guess third time's really the charm.

Before I say why you should watch this series, let's tackle on why you wouldn't want to watch it.



WHY YOU WON'T WATCH IT *assuming*

1. "IT'S FUCKING OLD, 1995!!"
She's doing it, 1995 style.
Yes, it's old. It's at the same time as Yu Yu Hakusho (Ghost Fighter) or Detective Conan. But the animation is actually great. Compared to the other animes I mentioned, the presentation of this series is better in all aspects. The animation style is like Miyazaki with robots. But still if you can't stand watching old stuff, watch the new movies with upgraded animation.

2. "ROBOT/MECHA ANIME?? MEH"
Yes, ROBOT BLOOD?????
EVANGELIONS ARE NOT ROBOTS,  THEY ARE HUMANOIDS. WHICH MEANS THEY ARE JUST GIANT HUMANS WITH ARMOR. And the picture above proves it, and yes, it's an Eva's head getting crushed.

I KNOW YOU HAVE MORE REASONS WHY YOU WON'T WATCH IT. FINE, THEN DON'T WATCH, BITCH.

Now onto the (quick) review..

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION - TV  (1995)

One Sentence Synopsis
  •  In an post-apocalyptic world, Shinji gets summoned by his lost dad to pilot an Evangelion, a humanoid weapon that can defeat the beings called Angels.

STORY -7/10
                                                     Eva's face!!!!!! No!
 The story can be confusing sometimes but, it's still great. Plot twists here and there. The only complaint I have is, they rely on the viewer's understanding of the show, they actually explained most of terms they have been saying for 20+ episodes on the last few episodes. And Shinji's gay. I also hate the psychological shit they have been showing near the end.

ART/ANIMATION - 8/10
I look good.
Like I said, it's old. You can see it in the artwork. But the animation is top-notch. No frameskips in the action scenes, pure and raw animation. The EVA's look good but, the characters, not so much.


FINAL IMPACT - 3/10
GAYSHIT
It's low because the last two episodes are bad. I mean DON'TWATCHIT bad. That's why they made a proper ending for the series, in the form of......

END OF EVANGELION - MOVIE (1997)

STORY - 9/10
 Yes, fapping on a girl's comatose body is fucked up.
Yes, the caption is not a joke. Shinji actually masturbated on that girl because he accidentally exposed her boobs. Fucked up. That basically describes the whole movie. But, you know, it's still epic. It fucking shows the end of the world!
A great way to end a series - Kill humanity except the protagonist and his lover.      <- Spoilers there. (Highlight to show)

ART/ANIMATION - 10/10
A giant naked woman growing out of the earth.. What would aliens say?
No explanation needed. The art and animation are both superb. For an anime movie in 1998, the animation is better than Princess Mononoke. nuff said.

FINAL IMPACT - 9/10
Hunts you in your sleep.
I gotta say, the most infamous and controversial ending of all time. Absolute MINDFUCK. No one can actually interpret the final moments of the movie. Even the creators don't know what they had just done. And I love it, what way to end a series by still giving countless questions to ponder on.

REBUILD OF EVANGELION - 2009
Yeah, I'm 3D now!

I'll post a seperate review for this next time. Cause, it's much too awesome to be rushed in this post. It's a reboot of the series from the start, and they will create a brand new ending. If you don't want to watch the old series, just watch the first movie of the rebuild. And it will make you watch the old series!!  BETTER ANIMATION , BETTER STORY.

So till next time guys!

3 comments:

  1. is shinji actually gay? as in gay, gay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I meant he's a coward. haha. But actually, there's an episode wherein another
    guy (actually an angel with human form) says "I love you" to him, and he blushes. WTF. Very questionable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EPIC! but the blog is better when you are beside Hikikomori while he is showing you these stuff... Companions + THIS TOPIC = ROFL

    ReplyDelete